For the Groom: 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Shopping for an Engagement Ring
These days, we rarely see a ring shopper go ring shopping without even the slightest bit of intel into the shape and style of his soon-to-be fiancée’s dream ring. Whether they’ve talked about it openly or she has dropped a few hints here or there (maybe “accidentally” leaving up her diamond ring-filled Pinterest board?), most men approach this all-important shopping trip with at least a general idea of what to look for.
But, even if your S.O. walks into the jewelry store with a photo of the exact sparkler you’ve been pining over, buying an engagement ring can be a nerve-wracking experience—after all, this is likely the biggest purchase he’s made to date. So to make sure your guy doesn’t get tripped up when shopping for your ring, we chatted with Bernie Robbins Jewelers co-owner Maddy Rovinsky to get an expert opinion on the most common mistakes that buyers make.
Here’s her best advice:
- Avoid buying your diamond on the internet. While websites can serve as a resource for browsing for her dream ring, you cannot truly see the diamond online. In the store, you will experience its cut, sparkle and beauty.
- Learn the difference between carat weight and actual size. Many people get caught up in asking for an exact weight. Instead, consider the size of the diamond in relation to its scale in the mounting and its proportion to the finger.
- Don’t make the specs and the diamond certification your top priority. Yes, the quality of your diamond is very important, but ultimately it’s all about how beautiful the ring looks on her hand.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you are not finding exactly what you want, questions will assist your diamond expert in creating a ring as unique as you are.
- Listen for hints your partner may drop about style and shape and feel free to consult friends and family about specifics and preferences—but keep the element of surprise. After all, the magic of the proposal is what it’s all about.
If you see a proposal in your near future, please feel free to pass these helpful tips along. (And when he does pop the question, we’d love to see the gorgeous ring he picked out.)
Getting married? Start and end your wedding planning journey with Philadelphia Weddings' guide to the best wedding vendors in the city.