WEEKEND ROUNDUP: The Unofficial SCOTUS-Ruling Dance Party
FRIDAY HIGHLIGHT: Nobody told me I could do this, but what the hell: I’m dubbing tonight’s NSFW the unofficial dance party for this week’s history-making SCOTUS decision to strike down DOMA. Party creators — and one of Philly’s most adorable gay power couples — Marquise Lee and Paul Blore intended it as a Fourth of July jam, but come on, a revolutionary themed bash on the same week we fought and won one of the most exciting victories in LGBT civil-rights history?! That’s effin timely. Don your stars and stripes, and throw in some rainbow for extra flair, to celebrate the crowning achievement with dueling go-go boys, DJ TRPRKPR and a room full of some of the hottest homos in Philly. Go gays! 10 p.m., $5 (free before 11 p.m.), Upstairs @ the Khyber, 56 S. Second St.
ALSO HAPPENING FRIDAY:
- Local photographer Kelly Burkhardt is one of many showcasing great, affordable art at Mount Airy Art Garage’s first open-community exhibition, “Summer Show Off”
- The basement of one of the city’s best coffee shops, Chapterhouse, is reserved tonight for queer coffee and games
- Summer tan lines are A-OK at tonights sultry burlesque showcase at Sisters
- Pick a bar, any bar and cheers and toast and dance till your gay heart’s content. This was an exciting week.
SATURDAY HIGHLIGHT: You’ll have to excuse me if I’m all about the the dance parties this week, but good news just makes me want to shimmy — and what’s more fun to dance to than disco? Like Friday’s NSFW, the Saturnia at Trestle Inn is another outside-the-Gayborhood option for dancing with queers and allies a like. DJ Robotique will be spinning, bringing a “fierce blend of classic disco, boogie and proto house.” 10 p.m., free, Trestle Inn, 339 N. 11th St.
ALSO HAPPENING SATURDAY:
- Gay rapper Cazwell is driving his ice cream truck to Tabu
- Tickets to Qventures Moonlit Kayak tour are sold out, but consider this a heads up to keep an eye out for their next outing
Have an event you’d like featured on G Philly? Send details to [email protected].