The Great Philly Mag Centennial Quiz
11. Which of the following historic sites is not a re-creation?
a) The Graff House (a.k.a. the Declaration House)
b) The Betsy Ross House
c) City Tavern
d) Pennsbury Manor
12. Where did the phrase “Old maids never wed and have babies” come from?
a) A line from The Philadelphia Story
b) A bedtime warning heard by generations of young Philadelphia heiresses
c) A famous Frank Rizzo utterance
d) A mnemonic for the first seven train stations on the Main Line
13. Which pioneering Philadelphia retailer had a side gig as U.S. Postmaster General?
a) Jacob Lit
b) Justus Clayton Strawbridge
c) Isaac Hallowell Clothier
d) John Wanamaker
14. When it was completed in 1926, the Ben Franklin Bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world.
15. What 19th-century visitor wrote of Philadelphia: “It is a handsome city, but distractingly regular. After walking about it for an hour or two, I felt that I would have given the world for a crooked street”?
a) Alexis de Tocqueville
b) Charles Dickens
c) Frances Trollope
d) Oscar Wilde