Home: Domain: Projects: Pretty … Quick
Renting a place down the Shore is as tried-and-true a summer tradition as getting a sunburn. This season, do it right: A few easy, breezy decorating tweaks will make a by-the-week beach house feel like a vacation home of your very own. (Oh, and this year, wear sunblock.)
Almost Like Home
For the bedroom
• Stash a time-share’s tired nautical art in the linen closet. Replace with your own framed photos from summers past.
• Who trusts a strange alarm clock? Bring your own — and wake up on time when it’s your turn for pancake duty.
• Instantly upgrade your sleep. Substitute your own soft, summery bedding, like these Serena & Lily linens, from $110, and butterfly pillow, $34, from Nancy Koltes At Home.
For the living room
• A comfy cotton throw or a simple white slipcover immediately refreshes worn or dated upholstery.
• Scented candles pull double duty as room fresheners and decorations for surfaces left empty by stowed seashell tchotchkes.
• Buy hydrangeas, zinnias and sunflowers at Jersey’s famous roadside farmstands. Arrange them in the souvenir mugs, glasses and vases that seem to fill every rental’s kitchen.
For the kitchen
• Bring along potted herbs to dress up both the kitchen window and fresh grilled seafood.
• Speaking of cooking … Until you grill them, display fresh summer veggies in a big bowl or basket for kitchen color.
• Pro chefs always tote their own knives. You should, too — bring paring, chef’s and in-between-size models, carefully wrapped in colorful tea towels.
Pack all of the above in laundry baskets, which become easy storage for kids’ toys and beach towels.
Want to spend a week in this quaint Ocean City cottage? Contact Steve Booth, Prudential Fox & Roach Realtors, 609-399-8822, ocnj.com.