Morning Headlines: Community Space Planned for Triangle Near King of Jeans on Passyunk Ave
More public space is coming to the booming East Passyunk Avenue. Albert Stumm of Passyunk Post has learned that the triangular spit of concrete at the intersection of Passyunk Avenue, Mifflin and 13th Streets will be redeveloped by the Passyunk Avenue Revitalization Corporation into a more usable public space. Here’s more:
PARC director Sam Sherman told us the organization bought the newsstand and plans to tear it down. They’ll then add seating, better lighting and landscaping to the triangle, which includes the bronze statue of boxer Joey Giardello.
Due to the orientation of Passyunk Avenue, it creates some wonky intersections at major cross streets. While they’re sometimes looked at as obstacles, they also create interesting opportunities. The Singing Fountain at Passyunk Avenue and Tasker and 11th Streets is a prime example. Sherman admits this new space won’t be as robust of an experience as the Singing Fountain, but it will be a “flex space” and a great spot for resting. Stumm reports the work is expected to be completed before the popular car show in July.
Spruce Street Harbor Park Will Be Back:
An expanded Spruce Street Harbor Park will be be on May 22. Even better, Penn’s Landing will feature its own outdoor roller rink and event space called Summerfest! Not to brag or anything, but we’re going to rock you at limbo this summer. Ticket has all the details!
These Headlines Include a Coloring Book:
- Out With Kraut! Perhaps Eighteen Homes Are a Better Choice? [Naked Philly]
- Dermody Breaks Ground at Two LogistiCenters in Suburban Philadelphia [CoStar]
- Schoolyards and parks as a community-building tool in Philly [Newsworks]
- An Extremely Detailed Coloring Book for Architecture Lovers [Curbed National]
Get at us:
- Send all tips (including fancy Philly area houses like this and this) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like Property on Facebook!
- Follow along on the Twitter machine @PropertyPhilly
- Get pin-happy on our fun Pinterest boards Phillyscape and Philly Home