Morning Headlines: Mega Construction Mix-Up at Triangle Park
This is perhaps one of the most outrageous stories we’ve heard in a long time. Naked Philly reports that the triangular spit of land bound by Christian Street, 6th Street and Passyunk Avenue–formerly a gas station turned park turned into fenced-off nothingness–was the site of a major construction mishap that could eventually be a good thing for the lot.
Confused? Here’s the scenario:
According to the Friends of Triangle Park, what you see in the photos above is not actually a new development. Instead, it’s a monumental screw-up by a contractor. According to the FOTP, contractors came to the site yesterday and took away seven truckloads of dirt. But they weren’t supposed to be digging here at all- their job was at another address. This is particularly problematic because the soil is probably contaminated, so the excavated dirt now needs to be tracked down by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Today, the contractor is filling the lot back in with clean dirt.
Dude, seriously?! Much like Naked Philly, there are now a ton (or at least seven truckloads) of questions surrounding what the hell happened and what the future of the lot now holds. While it’s good that future development could come from this, perhaps even another park, we’re just glad no one was injured (call before you dig, people).
We’ll be sure to keep you updated on this wacky development.
- We Saw a Hole at the Former Triangle Park [Naked Philly]
Don’t miss these stories:
- It’s Official: Allan Domb Is Running for Council [Citified]
- Diaz stumps for inclusionary zoning to expand affordable housing [PlanPhilly]
- Sneak Peak and the Home and Occasionette boutique collaboration [Shoppist]
- Hundreds attend meeting on Vineyard Commons proposal [Daily Times]
- Newtown Borough Council approves three-party land acquisition agreement with Steeple View and Heritage Conservancy [Bucks Local News]
Yes, this is happening:
- Philadelinquency’s Christopher Sawyer is officially running for Sheriff:
The poll-watching reporters buzzing around City Hall today probably didn’t notice me slip in the side door with my playoff beard and the Flyers hoodie. I’m a computer guy. I live in Kensington. I could stand in a lineup with a lot of Laborers or IBEW folk and no-one would notice which one was the politician and which one just came back from the lunch truck.
Get at us:
- Send all tips (including fancy Philly area houses like this and this) to[email protected]
- Like Property on Facebook!
- Follow along on the Twitter machine @PropertyPhilly
- Get pin-happy on our fun Pinterest boards Phillyscape and Philly Home