Report: Does Land Grab Mean a Third Comcast Tower Is in the Works?
Is it possible that Comcast could build a third skyscraper in Center City? Natalie Kostelni of the Philadelphia Business Journal reports that Liberty Property Trust has been quietly buying up “a series of properties at 19th and Arch streets,” further fueling speculation that the cable giant could eventually complete a holy triumvirate of towers. Reports Kostelni:
Another tower in that area would establish an expanded urban campus for the cable giant and continue to push the city’s Central Business District deeper into Logan Square.
It’s no secret that Comcast is in need of space, with what them agreeing to take over the entirety of the office space in the under-construction Comcast Innovation Technology Center. Kostelni reports that Liberty Property Trust has acquired the following properties on the block bound by 19th and 20th streets east to west and Cherry and Arch street north to south:
- 120-22 N. 19th St. (8,700 square-foot building)
- 102-18 N. 19th St. (22,660 square-foot parking lot)
- 100 N. 19th St. (1,751 square-foot parking lot)
- 1919-23 Arch St. (21,600 square-foot parcel that was at one time The Piano Bar)
They’ve also reportedly inquired about purchasing 1911-13 Arch Street, a building currently occupied by Russell Byers Charter School.
• Exclusive: Third Comcast skyscraper possibly in the works as Center City block bought piece-by-piece [Philadelphia Business Journal]