Rumor Mill: Sixers Reportedly in Discussions to Acquire Another First-Round Pick
Basketball writer Derek Bodner is covering the NBA draft for Philadelphia magazine at Sixers Draftland.
With just over 2 days until the draft, the rumor mill is starting to pick up steam.
• Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders reports that the 76ers and Blazers have discussed a deal where the Sixers would trade two second round picks (35th and 37th overall) for the 23rd pick in the draft.
The move would give the Sixers a few options, including shooters such as Rashad Vaughn, R.J. Hunter, or Justin Anderson, or big men such as Jarell Martin, Jonathan Holmes, or perhaps even Kevon Looney, who appears to be falling in some mocks.
• Broderick Turner over at the Los Angeles Times reported that the Celtics had proposed a package of the 16th overall pick, 28th pick, and Marcus Smart for Nerlens Noel and the 3rd overall pick. Turner said that the Sixers weren’t interested, thankfully.
• Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv reports that the Minnesota Timberwolves have informed Karl-Anthony Towns that they will select him with the No. 1 overall pick. Towns has been the front-runner for quite some time, but having a little bit of certainty at the top could allow other chips to fall into place.
• ESPN is also reporting that the Los Angeles Lakers are actively pursuing a trade for Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. In the rumored trade, which includes the Orlando Magic as a third team, the 3 of the top 6 picks in the draft could be in play.
* In non-draft news, the NBPA is apparently researching possible CBA violations made by the 76ers. No word yet on what those violations could be and whether or not the NBA is investigating it as well.
Previously in Sixers Draftland:
• Justise Winslow: A Defensive Maverick With Big “O” Questions
• Dario Saric Not Coming Over This Season
• Mario Hezonja: Is Elite Shooter Confident… or Cocky?
• Emmanuel Mudiay: The Point Guard With a Shooting Problem
• Kristaps Porzingis: International Man of Mystery
• NBA Mock Draft Roundup: Who the Experts Think the Sixers Will Take
• D’Angelo Russell: The Guy Everyone Thinks the Sixers Are Drafting
• Jahlil Okafor: One of the Best Low-Post Scorers We’ve Seen
• D’Angelo Russell to Work Out for the Sixers After All
• Karl-Anthony Towns: The Big Man the Sixers Probably Want — and Likely Can’t Get
• Does Joel Embiid’s Setback Change Sixers’ Draft Plans?
• Welcome to Sixers Draftland