Five Dollar Comedy Week Returns
The festival of cheap laughs starts Sunday at Good Good Comedy Theater.
Shows are already pretty inexpensive at good ol’ Good Good Comedy Theater — usually just ten bucks or so — but Five Dollar Comedy Week, well, that’s even more affordable. Starting Sunday, the upstart Chinatown comedy club will host some 30 new shows and workshops, each for just a fiver. Some could be the start of something big, some might never be seen again. Either way, you’re seeing something special.
The whole schedule looks pretty great, but here are a few that popped out at me:
- Freedom Hour GG regular Ari Fishbein hosts an over-the-top patriotic show on Easter Sunday “the way Jesus once did.” Followed by a free secret show. (Sunday, April 1, 10 p.m.)
- TL;DR Alex Grubard, of Weeding out the Stoned fame, hosts a show in which comedians deliver reports and answer questions about books they haven’t read. (Monday, April 2, 7 p.m.)
- New Foodz A late night talk show built around the strange list of foods host Jon DelCollo host has never tried, like peanut butter, jelly and more. (Monday, April 2, 10 p.m.)
- Family Legacy Infinity Comedians get the results of their DNA tests. Comedy ensues. Hosted by Sean Devaney Sullivan. (Tuesday, April 3, 8:30 p.m.)
- The Tubeyz A mock award show for the stars and creators of viral videos. (Wednesday, April 4, 8:30 p.m.)
- Grosslesque Libby Reindl hosts “a garbage truck full of the weirdest most experimental and unsettling burlesque performances.” (Thursday, April 5, 10 p.m.)
- Heckler Destroys Comedian Cassandra Dee and Christian Mangual host an evening of comedians heckling each other. (Friday, April 6, 11:30 p.m.)
- Journalistic Integrity Caitlin Feeney hosts a sendup of the evening news. I think. (Saturday, April 7, 8:30 p.m.)