Morning Headlines: Construction at the W Hotel Could Start Next Month
You already know that construction crews have been on the scene at 15th and Chestnut for about a month getting it ready for the upcoming W Hotel. Now it seems it’s about to turn a corner. Natalie Kostelni of the Philadelphia Business Journal reports that Tutor Perini Building Corp. has equipment on site and quotes Matt Morgan of Tutor Perini as saying that digging the foundation could start “as early as next month depending on what they find.”
The possible timeline for the project could have moved up as well. The $280 million hotel is reportedly a 36-month build and Jack Ferguson, President and CEO of the Philadelphia Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, said they’re anticipating the dual-hotel (an upscale W and mid-range Element by Westin) to be delivered in January 2018, which, if it is a 36-month build, would still be ahead of schedule. Kostelni reports the project is anticipated to be completed by October 2017–a three to four month difference.
• W Hotel construction has started, completion projected to be in 2017 [Philadelphia Business Journal]
• Philadelphia district nets $42 million from selling former schools [Newsworks]
• Loan on 1818 Market St. sent to special servicer [Philadelphia Business Journal]
• New arts space coming to 1813 S. 11th St. [Passyunk Post]
• Drones Are Getting in on the Building-Demolition Game [City Lab]