Richaun Holmes, J.P. Tokoto Highlight Sixers’ Second-Round Picks
Basketball writer Derek Bodner is covering the NBA draft for Philadelphia magazine at Sixers Draftland.
While the selection of Jahlil Okafor at No. 3 overall is far and away the biggest story to come out of the 2015 NBA draft for the Sixers, the team had five second-round selections at their disposal with which to try to find a diamond in the rough.
The Sixers started off the second round by trading the 35th pick to the New York Knicks for two future second rounders. The Knicks have already traded away all of their own second-round picks through the 2019 draft, but they do have second-round picks from Houston in 2017 and 2018, as well as a second-round pick from Cleveland in 2019, available to them.
The Sixers then selected Bowling Green senior Richaun Holmes with the 37th pick in the draft. We highlighted Holmes, the MAC’s Defensive Player of the Year, as a potential second-round option earlier in the day. Holmes has the potential to impact the game on the defensive end because of his mobility and shot-blocking ability, and he’s improved his offensive game over the past two seasons, shooting 36.1% (30-83) from three-point range over the past two years while shooting over 70% from the line each year.
The Sixers then selected Arturas Gudaitis with the 47th pick, J.P. Tokoto with the 58th pick, and Luka Mitrovic with the 60th pick. Gudaitis is a 6′ 10″ Lithuanian center who is a strong rebounder and a capable shot blocker, and is a late bloomer who has improved considerably over the last few years.
Tokoto is a strong athlete and perimeter defender, although his lack of an outside shot — he made just 21 three pointers over his three-year college career at North Carolina — could hinder his playing time initially. Mitrovic is an undersized 22-year-old power forward with an emerging perimeter game.
Follow @DerekBodnerNBA on Twitter.
Previously in Sixers Draftland:
• The Sixers Select Jahlil Okafor With the No. 3 Pick
• Sixers Draftland: 2015 NBA Draft Liveblog
• Who Are the Sixers’ Second-Round Options?
• Report: D’Angelo Russell to Lakers a Smokescreen
• Report: Celtics Putting Together a Huge Offer for No. 3 Pick
• Draft Day Mock Roundup: The Experts’ Best Guesses on Who The Sixers Will Take
• Reports: Sixers Targeting Rashad Vaughn; Is Trading Down a Possibility?
• 2015 NBA Draft Big Board: The 10 Best Prospects for the Sixers
• Report: Sixers Locked In on D’Angelo Russell?
• Rumor Mill: Sixers Reportedly in Discussions to Acquire Another First-Round Pick
• Justise Winslow: A Defensive Maverick With Big “O” Questions
• Dario Saric Not Coming Over This Season
• Mario Hezonja: Is Elite Shooter Confident… or Cocky?
• Emmanuel Mudiay: The Point Guard With a Shooting Problem
• Kristaps Porzingis: International Man of Mystery
• NBA Mock Draft Roundup: Who the Experts Think the Sixers Will Take
• D’Angelo Russell: The Guy Everyone Thinks the Sixers Are Drafting
• Jahlil Okafor: One of the Best Low-Post Scorers We’ve Seen
• D’Angelo Russell to Work Out for the Sixers After All
• Karl-Anthony Towns: The Big Man the Sixers Probably Want — and Likely Can’t Get
• Does Joel Embiid’s Setback Change Sixers’ Draft Plans?
• Welcome to Sixers Draftland