Eagles Release New Depth Chart
The Eagles released a new depth chart today, in advance of Monday’s preseason game against the Patriots. Here are some notes:
* As expected, King Dunlap is the first-team left tackle. Look for him to start there in place of Demetress Bell, who is on the second team.
* Stanley Havili is the first-team fullback, with Emil Igwenagu backing him up.
* The running backs, in order behind LeSean McCoy, are Dion Lewis, Bryce Brown and Chris Polk. McCoy and Lewis are locks to make the team. Brown and Polk are fighting for spots, although at least one of them will be on the 53-man roster.
* The best example of Don’t put too much stock into the depth chart is the wide receiver position. Riley Cooper and Jason Avant are listed behind Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson, respectively. Marvin McNutt, Chad Hall and Elvis Akpla are with the third team. And Damaris Johnson is a fourth-stringer. Johnson, however, has been running with the ones when Maclin’s been injured. With Cooper hurt, he’s really the No. 4 wide receiver right now.
* Along with Bell, your second-team offensive line is Julian Vandervelde (LG), Dallas Reynolds (C), Mike Gibson (RG) and Dennis Kelly (RT).
* At tight end, in order behind Brent Celek, it’s Clay Harbor, Brett Brackett and Chase Ford.
* Behind Michael Vick, in order, are Mike Kafka, Nick Foles and Trent Edwards. Kafka, of course, is recovering from a fractured left hand, and Foles is expected to run with the twos Monday night.
* Derek Landri is still listed at first-team defensive tackle, alongside Cullen Jenkins. I have a hunch we might see Fletcher Cox take that spot in the next week or two. Andy Reid said today he did not have much of an update on Mike Patterson’s status. Patterson has missed all of training camp and is recovering from offseason brain surgery.
* Jaiquawn Jarrett is still listed as the second-team safety, alongside Oshiomogho Atogwe, although Tom Nelson mixed in with Jarrett earlier this week.
* Phillip Hunt is listed behind Brandon Graham on the third team, even though Hunt has been practicing as a starter in place of Jason Babin at left defensive end.
* Nothing new at linebacker, although we’ll see if Mychal Kendricks continues to line up alongside DeMeco Ryans in nickel. That may depend on whether Jamar Chaney plays.
* Cliff Harris and Kevin Thomas, who was acquired in the Colts trade, are listed with the fourth team at cornerback.
* Mat McBriar is the first-team punter and holder.
* Johnson is the No. 1 punt returner, and Brandon Boykin is the No. 1 kick returner.