Observations: Eagles Vs. Colts
Here’s what we saw during the Eagles’ 30-27 win over the Colts.
* For the second straight week, the Eagles struggled in the first half, but got things together in the second half – 24 of their 30 points came in the third and fourth quarters. Cody Parkey kicked a 36-yard field goal with time expiring for the victory. The Eagles are one of three 2-0 teams in the NFC.
* Darren Sproles once again provided the spark. He had four carries for 26 yards and seven catches for 152 yards. On the Eagles’ game-tying drive in the fourth quarter, he had a spectacular 51-yard catch and run. In the first half, he had a 57-yard grab. And Sproles also had a tremendous 19-yard touchdown run. On the game-winning drive, he had a 17-yard catch and run.
* Nick Foles went 21-for-37 for 331 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He played well down the stretch, engineering a couple of scoring drives in the fourth quarter. Zach Ertz had four catches for 86 yards. One was a big 21-yard catch on 3rd-and-11 that extended the Eagles’ drive as they were trying to come back. Another was a 24-yard reception on the game-winning drive.
* In the fourth quarter, Foles found Jeremy Maclin in the end zone from 6 yards out to tie the game
* The story in the first half was missed opportunities. The Eagles got going in the third quarter and tied the game up at 20. They got a big 21-yard grab from Ertz on 3rd-and-11. Riley Cooper drew a 35-yard pass interference penalty. And LeSean McCoy found the end zone from 1 yard out. Later, Sproles delivered a fantastic effort on a 19-yard score on their next possession.
* In the first half, the Eagles drove to the Colts’ 20 or deeper on three occasions and only had six points to show for it. Cooper had a drop in the end zone that looked like a touchdown. And Cody Parkey missed a 38-yard field goal.
* LeSean McCoy ran 20 times for 79 yards.
* The Eagles’ screen game was horrible. Matthews had a drop, and Foles misfired on a couple to Maclin.
* Backup right tackle Andrew Gardner seemed to have a rough go.
* The defense turned in a shaky performance as the Colts (surprisingly) ran for 169 yards on 38 carries. But in the fourth quarter, the Eagles came up big with a Malcolm Jenkins interception, and they forced a three-and-out with the game tied at 27. Fletcher Cox also forced a fumble that DeMeco Ryans recovered in the second half.
* Andrew Luck was 20-for-34, but failed to get the ball downfield, totaling 172 yards and averaging 5.1 YPA.
* The Colts have struggled to run the ball, but had the ground game working. The Eagles gave up a 29-yard run on Indy’s second possession. It looked like Nate Allen got taken out on the edge. They then allowed a 15-yard run. The Colts faced a 4th-and-goal from the 1, went for it, and Luck found Bradshaw for the touchdown.
* Bradley Fletcher dropped what looked like an easy INT in the third, and the Colts ended up kicking a field goal on the drive. Fletcher was targeted all game long and held up well for the most part.
* Mychal Kendricks once again looked good with seven tackles, but left the game with a calf injury in the second half.
* Vinny Curry had a big hit on Luck on third down, forcing a Colts field goal attempt.