SPOKE Magazine Teams Up With Hidden City for Local History Rides
Hey Philly cyclists, you’ll want to note this: On four Saturdays between now and mid-November, SPOKE Magazine and Hidden City Philadelphia are teaming up for a series of historical group bike rides around town. The first one is coming up next Saturday, October 17th.
Think of the series, dubbed Bikesploration, as a set of organized field trips on a bike. Here are descriptions of each ride:
- Discovering Camden (10/17):Camden resident and structural engineer Patrick Miner will lead the ride, highlighting aspects of Camden that rarely get reported: its pretty parks, architectural buildings, quaint neighborhoods and infrastructure. This ride will be about 10 miles on flat terrain at a leisurely speed.
- Hidden Geology (10/31): You’ll discover 500 years of geological history and how it has shaped the city of Philadelphia. The ride is about 18 miles long, and you’ll be going 9 to 12 miles per hour, with frequent stops along the way.
- Mostly Manayunk (11/7): Hidden City co-editor Bradley Maule will lead this ride that takes in views of the Schuylkill River from the newly reopened Manayunk Bridge and explores remnants of the old river town at the Flat Rock Dam. The ride is about 15 miles long, and you’ll stop for a drink at a pub along the way.
- Ghosts of Industry (11/14): Hidden City co-editor Pete Woodall will lead you on a 10-mile loop that starts in Old City to discover Philly’s industrial past through the aged factories of North Philadelphia. There will be a special emphasis on the city’s historic bicycle manufacturing industry.
The rides are $10 for Hidden City members and $15 for nonmembers.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly — here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter