Roasted Baby Gold Beet Salad
Baby Arugula, Goat Cheese, Tarragon Vinaigrette
1 bunch roasted baby gold beets (recipe below)
6 oz baby arugula, washed and dried
1⁄4 medium red onion, shaved thin on a mandolin
4 oz chèvre (goat cheese)
4 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted and salted
2 Tbsp tarragon leaves
Tarragon vinaigrette, to taste (recipe below)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Toss all ingredients in a bowl and divide evenly amongst four plates. Serve immediately so that the vinaigrette does not wilt the arugula.
1 bunch baby gold beets, whole, tops removed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1⁄4 cup white wine
1⁄4 cup water
Fresh whole garlic, thyme, and laurel (optional)
1. Lightly coat whole beets with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Place the beets in a roasting pan. Add fresh whole garlic, thyme and laurel for aromatics if you wish. Add 1⁄4 cup white wine and 1⁄4 cup water to the bottom of the pan.
3. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for approximately one hour, until a fork inserted into the center of the beets comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature until cool enough to handle. Though still slightly warm, the peels can be easily removed at this point with your fingers and a damp towel or linen.
5. Quarter the beets and chill them until use.
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1/8 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic tooth, microplaned
1/8 cup tarragon, sliced thin
2 Tbsp chives, sliced
1 tsp each salt & pepper
Whisk together all ingredients and chill. Stir well before use.
Simple Cucumber and Lentil-Rice Salad With Local Feta
From Sweet Pea Nourishment
1 cup cooked lentils
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 medium sized cucumber, chopped into small pieces
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
Juice of one lemon
1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, approx.
1 generous handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 healthy pinch of red pepper flakes
Local Pennsylvania feta cheese, crumbled (try ordering online at Farm Fresh Express)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook lentils and rice according to package instructions, then combine in a large bowl.
2. Stir in chopped cucumber, olive oil, and lemon, and mix. Add chopped parsley and red pepper, and stir once more.
3. Garnish generously with feta and add salt and pepper to taste.
Arugula Salad With Creamy Lemon Dressing, Oil Cured Olives, and Red Onion
16 oz package of washed baby arugula
¼ cup oil cured olives, pitted
½ cup red onion, sliced as thin as possible
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ – ½ tsp each of salt and pepper, depending on taste
1. Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Since arugula is a delicate green, the dressing should not be too thick. If it appears too thick, add a few drops of cold water to thin the dressing appropriately.
2. Slice the red onion as thin as you can with a sharp knife. Rough chop the olives.
3. Toss the salad with the dressing, olives, and onion just prior to serving to make sure the greens stay fresh.