Your Guide to New Year’s Eve Celebrations in Philadelphia
Ring in the new year the right way.
A lot of the big New Year’s Eve parties in Philly have one thing in common: They all face east. That’s where the fireworks are — over the Delaware River, just south of the Ben Franklin Bridge. As usual, there are shows at 6 p.m. and midnight, depending on how into it you are about the whole thing.
Free, 6 p.m. & midnight, Penn’s Landing.
New Year’s Eve Parties on Ice
You can enjoy excellent views of the fireworks from Winterfest’s NYE shindig. Get an ice skating ticket or go for the “spectator” option if wearing little axes on your feet isn’t your thing. You’ll also have access to hot chocolate and snacks plus pay-as-you-go drinks and food.
$35 for spectators, $45 for skaters, 6 p.m. & 10 p.m., 101 S Columbus Blvd.
Making Time New Year’s Eve 2020
Philly DJ/veteran party-thrower Dave P. moves his annual NYE extravaganza to The Ave., a new club on Columbus Boulevard. Making Time is a proven name in Philly partying, and every other word by out of Dave P. these days is “transcendent” or “transcendental,” so this should be a good time. Music by Avalon Emerson, Zillas on Acid and Mr. P. himself.
$25-$35, 9 p.m.-2 a.m., The Ave., 520 Columbus Blvd.
Cherry Street Pier
This recently renovated pier on the Delaware is prime real estate for the NYE fireworks, and this year you have two parties to pick from: one for kids at 5 p.m. (with games, face-painting, hot chocolate, etc.) and one for grown-ups at 10 p.m. (with music, alcohol, firepits, etc.).
$25, 5 p.m. (kids party) and 10 p.m. (New Year on the Pier), 121 N. Columbus Blvd.
Fresh off his hit standup special Netflix Is a Joke, the veteran comedian plays two shows in Philly on New Year’s Eve. Just a heads up: Your cell phones will be detained during the show.
$159-$399, 7 p.m. & 10 p.m., The Met, 858 N. Broad St.
Spirit of Philadelphia
If you have the means, this floating party on the Delaware sounds like a top shelf option for ringing in the new year. Besides a primo view of the fireworks, you get dinner, DJs, champagne, drinks and more. There are two cruises to choose from.
4 p.m. ($114.90) & 8:30 p.m. ($189.99), 401 S. Christopher Columbus Blvd.
Other Parties to Try:
- Glitter City Gala @ The Bellevue Hotel
- New Year’s Eve Party @ Cicala At The Divine Lorraine
- Three Parties @ Rivers Casino
- Philly Crawl Til the Ball Drops New Years Eve Bar Crawl
- 10th Annual New Year’s Eve Ghost Tour
- 2020 NYE Countdown Party @ Yakitori Boy
- Pissed Jeans @ Boot & Saddle
- New Year’s Eve @ Bob & Barbara’s
- Families Spend New Year’s Eve Overnight @ Battleship New Jersey
- New Year’s Eve @ The Lunar Inn
- Salon #59: Bobby Zankel @ Exuberance
- Kindred the Family Soul @ City Winery
- Fondue & Fireworks @ Brauhaus Schmitz
- Lucy Dacus @ Johnny Brenda’s
- New Year’s Eve 2019 @ Buddakan
- Chelsea Reed and the Fairweather Nine @ Chris’ Jazz Cafe
- Robert Kelly @ Punch Line
- New Year’s Eve Black & Gray Affair @ Ben Franklin House
- Roaring ’20s New Year’s Eve Murder Mystery @ Thirsty Dice
- New Year’s Eve 2020 @ Tattooed Mom
- Julian McCullough @ Helium
- Masquerade Massacre NYE Ball
- Kids’ New Years Eve Countdown @ Franklin Square
- Roaring ’20s NYE Party @ Rouge
- Pulse New Year’s Eve 2020 @ Pulse Nightclub
- New Year’s Funkin’ Eve @ FringeArts
- Black Excellence: A 2020 Vision @ Pipeline Philly
- New Years Eve @ Love City
- Zeek Burse @ Four Seasons
- Clutch @ Union Transfer
- New Years EMO 2020 @ Kung Fu Necktie
- Waterfront Fireworks NYE Boat Party @ The Deck Philly
- Not Your Parents’ New Year’s Eve Party @ One Liberty Observation Deck
- The Record Company @ TLA
- Hindsight Is 2020 @ Wander Inn
- The Philadelphia Orchestra @ the Kimmel Center
- New Year’s Eve Fireworks Bash @ Hilton Penn’s Landing
- Kingsley Ibeneche @ World Café Live
- The Purge: A Hood EDM New Year’s Eve @ Down
- Citizen Cope @ Franklin Music Hall
- NYE 2020 Family Bash @ North Bowl
- West Philly Orchestra @ Underground Arts
- NYE 2020 @ City Tap House Logan Square
- Sad & Bougee @ Voltage Lounge
- New Queer’s Eve @ the Fillmore
- Aqimero Presents the Modern ’20s @ Aqimero at The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Dead On Live @ A New Year’s Grateful Dead Celebration @ Keswick Theatre
- Dark New Years Eve Dance Party @ Ruba Club
And then, of course, there’s the Mummers Parade on Wednesday.