Here’s When to Avoid I-676 This Week
Alas, the time has come once again to avoid I-676 – the highway will shut down for construction three nights this week.
The demolition of the 18th Street Bridge will force I-676 to close in both directions between the I-76 and Broad Street interchanges. The closures will go into effect at 11 p.m. and end at 5 a.m., starting tonight and lasting through Thursday.
As you probably guessed, it’s part of PennDOT’s ongoing $64.8 million bridge repair project. The 18th Street Bridge closed earlier this month and is expected to reopen (as a brand new bridge) in June of 2018.
The following detours will be in place overnight this week, per PennDOT:
• From I-76 west: Exit at 30th Street (Exit 345); take Schuylkill Avenue to Market Street; right at Market Street; left at 16th Street; right at Vine Street to the ramp to I-676 east; and
• Traveling east on Benjamin Franklin Parkway intending to use the 24th Street on-ramp: Follow Benjamin Franklin Parkway around Logan Circle and bear right onto Vine Street east; follow Vine Street to the ramp to I-676 east.
For I-676 westbound traffic:
• To I-76 East and West: Exit I-676 west at Broad Street (Route 611) Interchange; take 15th Street south; right on J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue and follow signs to I-76 east and I-76 west;
• From 16th Street north of J.F.K. Boulevard: Follow 16th Street north; right at Spring Garden Street; right at 15th Street; right at J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue to ramps to I-76 east and I-76 west; and
• From 16th Street south of J.F.K. Boulevard: Follow 16th Street north; left at J.F.K. Boulevard; right on Schuylkill Avenue to ramps to I-76 east and I-76 west.