Practice Notes/Observations: Harbor Makes Move To WR
Today, he was at a different position: wide receiver.
“We know we’ve got seven tight ends, and he already knows how to play inside because all of our tight ends know how to play the slot,” Chip Kelly said.
“He’s probably the fastest of the tight ends. Until really there’s some cut-downs and there’s some guys available, we think that the best route for us is the guys we have. So if we can cross-train Clay a little bit and get him to play outside receiver… it’s just a matter of the more versatile you can be, the better impact you can make. He’s a big body, he’s physical, not worried about him blocking corners. And he’s the one tight end we have that’s got really, really good speed, so it’ll be interesting. We’ll try to get him some reps this week so he can feel comfortable and hopefully we can get him in the game on Thursday.”
Harbor is obviously trying to make the team any way he can. At tight end, he’s got Brent Celek, Zach Ertz and James Casey ahead of him. At wide receiver, the Eagles lost Jeremy Maclin for the year, and Damaris Johnson missed practice today with a hamstring injury.
Harbor had three catches for 47 yards against New England. He had a couple bad drops today at his new position.
The following players did not practice today: Jon Dorenbos (concussion), Bryce Brown (quad), Phillip Hunt (knee), Damaris Johnson (hamstring), Casey Matthews (knee) and Jason Peters (hamstring).
Kenny Phillips left practice with a quad strain.
With Dorenbos sidelined, the team also signed long-snapper James Winchester.
* The first-team offensive line today (left to right) was: Allen Barbre, Evan Mathis, Jason Kelce, Danny Watkins, Todd Herremans.
Lane Johnson missed practice to be with his new baby boy, who was just born. Herremans slid from right guard to right tackle, and Watkins filled in at RG. Barbre continues to fill in for Peters at LT.
* Kelly was very complimentary of undrafted free agent Damion Square and third-round pick Bennie Logan. He said those two, along with Johnson, were the young guys who stood out on tape. Logan rotated in at left defensive end with the first team in place of Cedric Thornton.
* With Hunt out, Chris McCoy lined up at ROLB with the second team. McCoy played well on Friday.
* Celek had another drop today, this one on a throw from Nick Foles. Celek got open in a zone between defenders, but couldn’t hang on. Chris Polk had a drop in the end zone from Foles.
* DeSean Jackson continues to look great. He made an excellent adjustment, twisting his body back around to make a downfield grab from Foles.
* Kurt Coleman hit Casey after a completion even though he wasn’t supposed to. The team wasn’t in pads. Coleman helped the new tight end up after the play.
* Jason Avant laid out for a great catch in the back of the end zone from Michael Vick during an 11-on-11 period.