Weekend Roundup: LGBT Night at Nutcracker Market, Night of 100 Queens, Gay Ice Skating and More
Night of 100 Queens is upon us: Watch as drag queens from every nook and cranny of the city (I think the number is actually 82 now) will gather at the Trocadero in the attempt to beat the Guinness Book of World Record for “Largest Drag Queen Show.”
- PA Ballet hosts its first-ever LGBT Night at Nutcracker Market on Friday. Besides shopping, there will be a special performance by the Philadelphia Gay Men’s Chorus (no doubt singing some of the numbers from their recent holiday hoedown), a meet-and-greet with Pennsylvania Ballet dancers, and food and cocktails from the Garces group. Should be a fun, festive night—and something a little outside the box. We hope to see you there!
- Jonathan Hernandez, Mary Vice and Mister E join Philly burlesque queen Lascivious Jane for Mama’s House: “Philly’s tastiest all-female cabaret.”
- DJ Robert Drake spins at the final Sex Dwarf of 2014, an evening that celebrates new wave one-hit wonders.
- Philadelphia FIGHT’s Institute For Community Justice hosts an informative afternoon panel discussing strategies for facing employment discrimination against people with criminal records.
- M Restaurant hosts its third-annual LGBT tree lighting, complete with a holiday-inspired menu by Chef Kyle Beebe (think seasonal cocktails, apple butternut spiced soup with spiced pecans and holiday glazed ham with rosemary apples and cranberry glace) and a flea market.
- Gay Community Night in Philadelphia hosts a pride night at Saturday’s 76ers game. There will be a 50/50 raffle during the game that benefits ACLU of PA. Just type in the word PRIDE when ordering your tickets, which can be purchased here.
- Satine Harlow gathering some of her fiercest gal pals for a Non-Denominational Holiday Spectacular. There will be an ugly Christmas sweater contest, so throw on something tacky, and be sure to bring an unwrapped toy that will be donated to the Mazzoni Center’s Toys For Tots campaign (it will also get you a ticket for a free drink.)
- Lesbians will rage at Tabu for Back 2 Basics’ last bash of the year.
- DJ David Scopitone Atlas spins at Venture Inn for Nitty Gritty: A John Waters Dance Party.
- Where is Josh Schonewolf presenting on Saturday? At The Victoria Freehouse, where he’ll be joined by a haggle of queens for a night of “bloody brilliant” drag, burlesque and live-singing.
Drag Wars winners Zsa Zsa St. James, Bev, and Pissi Myles come together for the Clash of the Titans drag brunch at Tabu.
- For its third-annual gay ice skating foray, Qventures is heading to the brand new rink at Dilworth Park. Afterward, join the group at Tabu, where ticket holders will enjoy a belly- and soul-warming supply of free tater tots with any food and beverage purchase.
- QOTA switches up things this month with a Sunday gathering. Join the Queers of Passyunk Avenue at POPE for drinks and appetizers, then head down the street for a Philadelphia Gay Men’s Chorus performance at the Singing Fountain, and cap off the day with bargains at gay-owned men’s boutique Metro Men’s Clothing.