Weekend Roundup: Guerrilla Queer Bar at Raven Lounge, Tig Notaro at The Troc, the It Gets Better Project Concert at Kimmel Center and More
- The Welcoming Committee is taking over all four floors and six bars of the Raven Lounge for its next Guerrilla Queer Bar. Insider tip: Say “cheers, queers” when you walk through the door and you’ll get a free drink.
- The phenomenal Tig Notaro brings her comedy to The Trocadero tonight in a show called “Boyish Girl Interrupted.” I’m already in stitches.
- Bearoncé easily wins the award for best event title this week. Just like it sounds, the evening features the boys of Bearlesque performing Beyoncé songs all night long. Josh Schonewolf makes his Bearlesque debut.
- Sleepover. The Party. returns with its monthly movie-themed dance party at Venture Inn, this time inspired by sexy, stylish thriller American Psycho. Come dressed as one of the characters from the film and get ready to boogie down all night.
- CUTN PASTE celebrates its two-year anniversary with Queenceañera, and a team-up with Brooklyn-based monthly dance party Papi Juice. (I luh ya, Papi.)
- The leather community’s pride flag will be waving at Voyeur on Saturday for the annual Leather Pride Night. The festivities will include everything from boot-blackening booths and the curious-sounding Wheel of Kink to a performance by Liberty City Kings Drag and Burlesque.
- Kimmel Center’s weeklong It Gets Better Project residency culminates with a special ticketed concert that promises a fusion of video, music, and narrative, featuring over 125 performers from the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles, Philadelphia Gay Men’s Chorus, Sister Cities, Voices of Pride, Rainbow Chorale of Delaware, and Anna Crusis Philadelphia Woman’s Choir.
- This month’s lesbian dance party Back 2 Basics features two guest DJs, Aura and Sparkles, and lots of drink specials, including $3 PBR Pounders, $5 well drinks, and $7 Fireball shots.
Nitty Gritty dance party kicks off at Venture Inn with old-school Motown and Philly-soul sounds by DJ David Scopitone Atlas.
- Cap off the weekend with glitter and grits. Liberty City Kings Drag and Burlesque will be serving up brunch and an afternoon of shimmies at Tabu on Sunday, with a special nod to Leather Pride weekend.
- The Philadelphia Marriott will house the 2014 Forever Young: Bringing Happiness to Life Health & Wellness for all you queens on the search for the fountain of youth. And let’s be honest, who among us isn’t?