Carjack Suspect “Atoning” for Fatalities
UPDATE: Two men have been charged with rape and murder in Friday’s carjacking. For the full story, go here.
[Update 11:35 am] An attorney for one of the men in custody says his client is trying to “atone” for his role in the carjacking:
The persons of interest, one 19-years-old and the other in his 20s, were taken into police custody on Sunday. The younger man, identified by his attorney as Jonathan Rosa, turned himself into detectives alongside his mother and their pastor, sources said. U.S. Marshals and city police later took the older man into custody that evening.
Rosa’s attorney, Christopher Warren, says his client was in the stolen vehicle that crashed into the group on Friday morning. Rosa is cooperating with detectives to try and “atone” for the crash, the attorney said.
“He turned himself in and he is doing everything in his power to try and atone for what happened last Friday,” Warren said. “Quite frankly, he’s having an extremely difficult time getting over the image of that 15-year-old girl coming over the hood of the car.”
[Update, 9:40 am] NBC 10 reports that Commissioner Charles Ramsey is declaring the manhunt over, though no formal charges have been filed.
Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said Monday morning he’s confident the men either are or know who are responsible for Friday’s deadly crash.
“I am satisfied that we don’t need to have a manhunt out there right now,” he said. “Let’s deal with what we have now and unless things take a turn then we’re pretty confident that we have people who have valuable information to bring this to a successful conclusion.
[Original] Multiple outlets have reported that police have brought in two men for questioning in Friday’s fatal carjacking that killed three children, though there are no reports yet of arrests or charges. A $110,000 award had been offered by the police and Fraternal Order of Police for information leading to the capture of the carjackers.
CBS Philly reports: “Sources told CBS 3 Eyewitness News that police were questioning two people about the incident at police headquarters Sunday night. There was no initial word on any charges and the identities of the two people in custody were not immediately released.”
“We are talking to two persons of interest as we speak,” Homicide Captain James Clark said shortly after 9 p.m. He did not identify the men, but said that a news conference might be held today.
6ABC witnessed one of the men be taken into custody:
Sources tell Action News that one of the men surrendered to police on Sunday in the company of his mother and his pastor.
Soon, police had the information to go after that second man.
It was an intense scene at 6th and Cambria Streets in North Philadelphia Sunday night. United States Marshals were posted in the doorway of the home and they had their guns drawn behind it looking for a person of interest.
Within a matter of seconds they had their man and only Action News was there as he was taken into custody for questioning.
We’ll update this story today as events warrant.