Philly Ranked Among Nation’s Worst Cities to Celebrate Pride
There’s lots of chatter around town questioning Philadelphia’s Pride — and I’ll admit some opinions are founded — but there’s something irksome about being called out nationally for being one of the worst cities for gay Pride.
Gay app Jack’d polled users (aged approximately 18-30) in anticipation of Pride month to determine the best and worst cities in the nation to attend a Pride festival. No surprise, San Francisco topped the list, with Detroit (really?) and Oakland (wha?!) not far behind. San Antonio got the No. 1 slot in the “least fun” category, and Philadelphia comes in at No. 8. (See the full lists below.)
Here are some other statistics from the study:
- 41% of respondents said they would attend a Pride event in 2014.
- Only 2% indicated they would use Pride in 2014 as an opportunity to come out.
- 17% said they wouldn’t attend Pride because they were concerned about what others might think.
- 57% said they would celebrate either by watching the city’s main parade or attending a street festival.
- 59% of respondents planned not to attend an event, while 57% of respondents still claimed that celebrating Pride is important.
Check out the list of best and worst cities to attend Pride below:
- San Francisco, California
- Detroit, Michigan
- Oakland, California
- Orlando, Florida
- Seattle, Washington
- New York, New York
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Brooklyn, New York
- Washington, D.C.
- San Diego, California
- San Antonio, Texas
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Miami, Florida
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Dallas, Texas
- Houston, Texas