City Hall is Staying Open Late So You Can Get Gay Married

Plus: We have our first Philly couple to apply for a license.

News from City Hall, in light of today’s ruling striking down gay marriage:

And it appears we already have a first Philadelphia couple ready to claim a license:

Here’s where you go if you’re applying for a license:

Marriage License Bureau
Room 180 413 City Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 686-2233

And here are the instructions for obtaining a marriage license in Philadelphia:


1. The fee for a marriage license is $80.00*, payable by cash or money order. Checks and credit cards are NOT accepted.
2. Both applicants must appear together in Room 413 City Hall to apply for the marriage license.
3. The marriage license will issue on the third day following application and is valid for only sixty (60) days from the issue date that appears on the license. If the license is not used within the 60 day period, the marriage license must be returned and the application process must be repeated in its entirety and the fee re-paid.
4. The marriage license can be used in any county in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; however, a PA license cannot be used out-of-state.
5. Applicants must produce the following identification: a CURRENT, VALID PHOTO I.D. in the form of either a driver’s license; non-driver’s license; international driver’s license; passport; military I.D.; resident alien card or consulate card AND a Social Security card or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity which reflects the applicant’s Social Security number (i.e. Social Security printout; pay stub; W-2 form; income tax return; prescription card; access card etc.). If an applicant does NOT possess a Social Security number he/she must produce a Secondary I.D. in the form of a birth certificate (officially translated, if appropriate); or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entity, in addition to the above-noted current, valid photo I.D. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE TAKEN WITHOUT THESE DOCUMENTS.
6. If either applicant was previously married, proof of dissolution of the latest marriage must be submitted at the time of application. A widowed applicant must submit a certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse. A divorced applicant must provide a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree. If either of the foregoing documents is not written in English it must be translated to English and the translation must be certified to be correct.
7. If an applicant has had a legal name change the certified decree of the court ordering this change must be presented at the time of application.
8. If either of the applicants is a MINOR between the ages of sixteen and seventeen, the minor’s parent or legal guardian must appear at the time the application is made. If the minor is fifteen years of age or younger, the Court must authorize the issuance of the license. The parent/ guardian must prove his/her relationship to the minor by submitting current, valid photo I.D. If the parent/ guardian resides outside this jurisdiction, the office will supply the necessary consent form at an *additional fee of $10.00 per minor.
9. The Marriage License Bureau is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. Wednesday hours are from 8:30 A.M. until 7:30 P.M. Please schedule your arrival no later than one-half hour before closing time to allow for processing.
* ADDITIONAL FEES: Quaker/ Self-Uniting License $90.00
Lost License $10.00
11. If either applicant cannot speak or understand English, he/ she must be accompanied by a translator who possesses current, valid photo I.D.