WEEKEND ROUNDUP: A Fundraiser For Balls
FRIDAY HIGHLIGHT: The City of Brotherly Love Softball League (CBLSL) is back for another go-round of its awesomely named fundraiser, JOCKSTRAP: A Fundraiser For Balls. This year, Stella D’Oro is hosting and there will be performances by Pennsylvania 6 Shots, Alize’ and the Liberty City Kings (LiCK). Wondering what to wear to an event like this? On the Facebook event page, LiCK leader Lascivious Jane says the obvious choice, jockstraps, are “highly encouraged, however … per Philly booze laws all nips, tips and cracks must be covered.” Pull out the masking tape. 9 p.m., $10, Tabu Lounge and Sports Bar, 200 S. 12th St.
ALSO HAPPENING FRIDAY:
- Philadelphia Theatre Company is hosting an LGBT cocktail hour prior to the showing of its latest, Venus in Fur
- Feel like hitting the road? The Philadelphia Gay Men’s Chorus is performing out in Chadds Ford
- Drag show “Wet Hot Trans Summer” raises well-deserved funds for a fab youth camp for transgender and gender-variant youth
- Quince Productions’ Full House: A Series of Cabarets is in full swing, check out Friday’s lineup
- Chuck the taffeta: GALAEI is hosting its 18th annual Alternative Prom
- Philly singer-songwriter Aiden James will own the stage tonight at Tin Angel
- “Celebrate the official first day of summer with the punx, queers, witches and weirdos”
SATURDAY HIGHLIGHT: Boy, time sure does fly when you’re a lesbian nightclub. Just ask Denise Cohen, whose Gayborhood mainstay Sisters is celebrating 17 years in the biz with a big bash. Both levels of the club will be bumping tonight, with DJs spinning, drink specials flowing and what event at Sisters would be complete without a buffet? To say “thanks” to her patrons for all these years in business, Cohen is offering free admission to anyone who shows up with a printed out copy of this Facebook invite. Happy birthday, Sisters! 8 p.m., $8 (unless you print out that Facebook invite, Sisters Nightclub, 1320 Chancellor St. When you’ve had your fill of revelries (and the buffet) at Sisters, mosey eastward down the alley to Voyeur, where local DJ Dave P is celebrating a birthday of his own — 13 years of magical, sweaty, sexy hyper-ragers known as Making Time. Tonight, they’ve lined up crowd favorite Simian Mobile Disco and a host of other DJs who will fill that club with every kind of sound imaginable. Rage on, Making Time! 9 p.m.-3 a.m., $12, Voyeur Nightclub, 1220 Saint James St, tickets here.
ALSO HAPPENING SATURDAY:
- We’re waking up bright and early to take the Equality Bus to Harrisburg. Coming with us?
- The Philadelphia Open Air Market starts today in Fairmount
- Local sci-fi scribe Thom Nickels is reading from his latest works, Walking on Water and After All This
- Stock up on good gay karma points at Sean Thompson’s Equality PA-benefitting cabaret, “I Need a Sunburn”
- There’s lots of buzz surrounding Plays & Players season-ending bash, the Honey Bee Fundraiser (har-har)
- G Philly favorite Cleo Phatra is kicking off a new party at Tabu
- Rock on at Bike Stop’s Rock N Roll Gay Bar
- Boogie-woogie-woogie till just can’t boogie no more at Saturnia
Have an event you’d like featured on G Philly? Send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.