Oyster House: Tale of the Tape
The Oyster House is set to open today where the Sansom Street Oyster House stood for years. And it won’t just be the oysters that are familiar.
- Sam Mink – Father David owned and ran Sansom Street Oyster House from 1976 until he sold the business but not the building to Cary Neff who now runs Coquette.
- 1516 Sansom Street
- 118 seats
- Interior designed by Brett Webber Architects (Puma store on Walnut St).
- Open interior, gone is the wall separating the bar and dining area.
- Both a cocktail bar and raw bar.
- Exposed steel and whitewashed bricks.
- “Reclaimed” and “salvaged” are buzz words for the interior.
- Floors timbers from Academy of Music
- Lighting fixturesÂ scored from old ships
- Reclaimed yellow pine tabletops
- Oyster plates that adorn the wall are Mink family heirlooms
- The front bar’s marble comes from paving slabs at Independence Mall
- 8 types of oysters at the Raw Bar
- From as far north as New Brunswick
- South as Delaware Bay
- Far west as British Columbia
- Other menu highlights:
- Oysters Rockefeller
- Clams Casino
- New England Clam Chowder
- Snapper Turtle Soup
- Smoked Trout Salad
- Sauteed Mussels
- Lobster Roll
- Pan fried Soft Shell Crabs
- Pan Roasted Halibut
- Grilled Swordfish
- Whole Grilled Black Bass
- Prices top out at $26 for the halibut and lobster roll.
- Innovative bartender Katie Loeb is at the helm.
- Expect classic cocktails.
- House gimlet made with homemade lemon or lime cordials.
- Oyster Shooters – small oysters combined with house-infused spirits.
- El Chulo – horseradish infused tequila
- Chihuahua – hot pepper and cilantro infused vodka
- Homemade ginger beer
- Six local draughts including:
- Philadelphia Brewing Co.
- Sly Fox Brewing
- Victory Brewing Co.
For more on the Oyster Bar check out the following links.
What’s inside that Oyster House? [The Insider]
Five Questions: Katie Loeb, Head Bartender at Oyster House [Restaurant Club]
Aw shucks: Oyster House opens this week [Meal Ticket]
Oyster House [Thrillist]
Oyster House [Official Site]