Observations: Eagles Vs. Jets
Here’s what we saw during tonight’s Eagles-Jets preseason finale.
* We have to start with special teams. Easily the most exciting moment of the first half came late in the second quarter when the Eagles set up for a 54-yard field goal. Cody Parkey came in and nailed it. Yes, it’s only the preseason, but Alex Henery’s career long is 51 yards. Parkey later connected from 53 yards out. As McManus pointed out, the new kicker figures to have a big crowd around his locker after the game. And he may have just earned a spot on an NFL roster.
* Matt Barkley had more good moments than bad. He completed 22 of 34 passes for 274 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. He started the game with a zone-read run. As @ChipWagoneer pointed out, the Eagles used a lot of pistol in the first half.
* The Eagles got an injury scare early. Right guard Matt Tobin got hit on his left ankle and headed for the locker room. He got X-rays, which were negative, but did not return. Tobin has had a fantastic preseason and figures to be the Eagles’ top G/T backup if he’s healthy once the regular season starts.
* Henry Josey continues to play well. He piled up 109 yards on 19 carries, including an 18-yard gain and a 12-yard gain. Matthew Tucker looked good, running six times for 39 yards. Kenjon Barner had five carries for 21 yards. He also handled punt return and kickoff return duties. Barner suffered an ankle injury; X-rays were negative. Tucker suffered a shoulder injury. Chris Polk (hamstring) did not dress.
* Barkley looked for Quron Pratt in the end zone in the first, but it looked like Pratt slowed his route, and the ball was picked off. Barkley later connected with Arrelious Benn on a 43-yard TD down the right sideline. And in the third quarter, he ran one in from 7 yards out.
* Damaris Johnson is unlikely to make the 53, but he put some good stuff on tape tonight. Most notably, Johnson played RB, made a nifty move and took off for the end zone on a 46-yard touchdown.
* The only projected starter who suited up was nose tackle Bennie Logan. Vinny Curry and Brandon Bair joined him on the defensive line. Damion Square and Beau Allen rotated in. At outside linebacker, it was Brandon Graham and Marcus Smith II. Travis Long’s snaps came at inside linebacker later in the game. Najee Goode and Emmanuel Acho lined up inside to start the game.
* The starting cornerbacks were Roc Carmichael and Jaylen Watkins. The safeties were Earl Wolff and Chris Maragos.
* Michael Vick played just one snap and handed the ball off. He got a nice ovation from the crowd. The defense held starting QB Matt Simms to 7-for-17 passing and 121 yards in the first half.
* Watkins had an excellent first series. He made an open field tackle, broke up a pass over the middle and made another tackle in space.
* The Eagles held the Jets scoreless in the first half. The lone hiccup was a 50-yard completion on what might have been a blown coverage.
* In the third quarter, rookie safety Ed Reynolds did a good job getting to the ball down the left sideline. He was in perfect position for an interception, but let the ball slip through his hands. The result was a 42-yard touchdown.
* Earl Wolff came up in run support and forced a fumble late in the first half.
* In the second half, Bryan Braman had a sack from the left outside linebacker spot. Taylor Hart had a forced fumble. And Long had a sack on a delayed blitz.