Flyers Announce Annual Pick-Your-Distance Cycling and Running Event
On Sunday, July 16th, Flyers fans and fit Philadelphians will be pounding — and cycling across! — the pavement of Broad Street for the first Flyers Charity Classic, an annual event benefiting the Flyers Charities and the Flyers Alumni Association, who, in turn, support a bunch of nonprofits across Philadelphia. This is an expansion of the annual Flyers Charities 5K, which you probably already know and love, enhanced with a new course, new date and the addition of a cycling component.
And about that cycling component: The event has added three cycling options to the event, a 10-mile ride, a 50K ride and a 100K ride. Below, the rundown of how you can get moving at the Flyers Charity Classic:
- 5K Walk/Run: Runners and walkers will take off from the Wells Fargo Center, jaunt around the Navy Yard and loop back to the Wells Fargo Center to break through the finish line. It will run you $50 to enter the 5K.
- 10-Mile Family Bike Ride: This ride will take cyclists from the Wells Fargo Center to Broad Street where they will cruise along until they hit City Hall, heading down past Logan Square and the Art Museum. The group of cyclists will then hit the Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) to head back toward South Street then jump back to Broad Street to cross the finish line at the Wells Fargo Center. This will run you $50 per family member or $100 for a family of four.
- 50K Bike Ride (That’s about 31 miles): This ride starts off just like the family ride — you head out from the Wells Fargo Center to City Hall, then hit the Art Museum. From there, cyclists will hop onto MLK Drive to Fairmount Park, heading past Bala Cynwyd, in the direction of West Mill Creek Park in Gladwyne, the half-way point of the ride. From there, racers will head back towards South Philly by jumping on the SRT via Main Street in Manayunk, cross back over MLK Drive via the Falls Bridge to ride out the SRT to South Street where they’ll jump off and head back to the Wells Fargo Center to finish. This event will run you $100 per cyclist.
- 100K Bike Ride (That’s about 62 miles): This ride starts and ends just like the 50k ride, only this lengthy ride bulks up the distance by heading past Gladwyne through Narberth, Ardmore, Haverford College and Newtown Square before finally reaching Malvern. From Malvern, cyclists will make their way back to the city though Paoli and Wayne, eventually making their way back to the Wells Fargo Center in a similar fashion as the 50K. Whew. This lengthy cycling journey will run you the same as the 50K, at $100 per rider.
Registration is open, so now that you know all of your options, you can snag your spot here! Oh, and with your registration fee comes a bib with chip timing, a Flyers goodie bag, a race T-shirt, finisher’s medal and (much-needed) post-race refreshments.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly—here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Instagram
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter