Make: Healthy Shredded Chicken Tacos With Avocado Cream
Taco Tuesday is pretty common but, though we love Mexican food, it’s not one we implement in my house. I just never seem to have all the right ingredients on hand at the same time. But I’m thinking it’s really time to change that, because besides a salad — which, let’s face it, can get a bit boring — I can’t think of a better (or more crowd-pleasing) way to get summer’s bounty of fresh produce into one delicious meal.
Because the ingredients involved in these shredded chicken tacos are simple, the flavors are allowed to shine, and the avocado cream is literally lick-the-plate good. Coming together in under 30 minutes, this recipe works well for weeknights, but as you can see form the photo, the end result is so fresh and pretty that it also works for entertaining guests. Happy cooking!
Recipe: Healthy Chicken Tacos with Avocado Cream
2 chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
pinch cayenne, or to taste
1 ripe avocado, diced
1/3 c. light sour cream
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 scallions, sliced
8 small flour or corn tortillas
1 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced vertically
1/3 c. roughly chopped cilantro
1. Bring a small pot of water to boil. Reduce to simmer and add chicken. Keep heat on lowest setting for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. Let chicken cool.
2. Shred chicken and add 1/4 tsp. of salt, along with chili powder, cumin and cayenne, tossing in a bowl to coat chicken evenly.
3. Next, in a small mixing bowl, mash avocado with sour cream until smoothly combined. Add garlic powder, kosher salt, and scallions and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Toast tortillas on gas burners, lowest heat. Flip with hands or tong when starting to blacken.
5. Arrange tortillas and divide avocado mixture between then, down the middle of each. Top with chicken, tomatoes and cilantro. Serve.
Per serving, accounting for 4 servings made with corn tortillas: 402 calories, 18.5 fat grams, 432 milligrams sodium, 724 milligrams potassium, 29.3 grams carbs, 7.3 grams dietary fiber, 2.1 grams sugar, 32.6 grams protein.
Becca Boyd is a wife and mom who creates healthy and delicious recipes in her West Chester kitchen. She blogs about them on her website, Home Beccanomics.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly—here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter