Morning Headlines: Casino Smackdown Begins. Who Will Win?
Today is the start of three days of hearings during which the final five bidders for Philadelphia’s casino license will make their case before the PA Gaming Control Board. Established venues such as SugarHouse will also be granted the opportunity to present their rebuttal against the new projects to avoid losing business.
Among the prospective projects, three are proposed for South Philly (Live! Hotel & Casino, Casino Revolutions, and Hollywood Casino), one in Callowhill (the Provence), and one in Center City (Market8). The schedule of the hearings is as follows:
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – PA Gaming Ventures, LLC (Hollywood Casino Philadelphia) with proposed location at 700 Packer Avenue
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Tower Entertainment, LLC (The Provence) with proposed location at 400 North Broad Street
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Market 8 Associates (Casino Philadelphia) with proposed location at 8th and Market Streets
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – PHL Local Gaming, LLC (Casino Revolution) with proposed location at 3333 South Front Street
Thursday, January 30, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – Stadium Casino, LLC (Live! Hotel and Casino) with proposed location at 900 Packer Avenue
For two different takes on the subject, try:
• Phila. casino applicants assess ‘cannibalization’ [the Inquirer]
In the meantime, more news on the real estate front…
• Proposed: 200+ Units in New Apartment Complex on North Broad [Philadelphia Speaks]
• Report: Boyd rehab not viable without subsidies [the Inquirer]
• East Passyunk Gateway Coming Soon [Naked Philly]
• W. Phila. artist fights city plan to buy his studio [the Inquirer]
• PhillyDeals: Is state in the clear in loan dispute? [Philly.com]