(UPDATE) Man Wanted for Killing Pregnant Woman Dies in Shootout With Police

Devon Guisherd is dead after shootout with SWAT team in Northeast Philadelphia

[Update 1 pm] Reports say the suspect who died in today’s shootout with a SWAT team was Devon Guisherd, seen above, wanted since September on allegations he killed a pregnant woman and her unborn child.

“Police sources tell Action News that officers were serving an arrest warrant on a suspect, identified by sources as 26-year-old Devon Guisherd, for the death of 25-year-old Megan Doto last September,” 6ABC reports.

“Devon Guisherd, 27, had been on the run for nearly a year since police identified him as the suspect wanted in the shooting of 25-year-old Megan Doto,” NBC Philadelphia adds. “Doto, who was due to give birth exactly a month after she was shot, was sitting outside her house on Adams Avenue near Griscom Street about noon on Sunday, Sept. 14 when gunfire erupted up Griscom Street from where she sat.”

Investigators had said that Doto, 26, was not the intended victim of the shooting that took her life when she was eight months pregnant. After the shooting, her child was delivered by C-section, but the child then died overnight.

Guisherd was waiting trial on drug charges a the time of Soto’s shooting; he was free then on $100,000.

The officer injured in the shootout, when a bullet hit is protective vest, has been released from the hospital.


At approximately 6:10 this morning, a Philadelphia Police Officer was shot in the line of duty while attempting to serve…

Posted by Philadelphia Police Department on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Philadelphia Police officer is recovering after a shootout in Northeast Philadelphia Wednesday morning. The suspect was shot and killed by police, according to reports.

NBC 10 reports the shooting happened around 6 a.m. in the 800 block of Riverside Drive:

“According to Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey, members of the SWAT Team and homicide division went to a second floor apartment to serve a murder warrant,” the station reports. “When officers entered the residence, Ramsey said the suspect grabbed what turned out to be a weapon and began to run. At some point, the suspect spun around and opened fire, striking a SWAT Team officer in the bulletproof vest near his stomach.”

The Police Department reports that the officer was serving a warrant for a person wanted for a September 2014 homicide that claimed the life of a pregnant woman and her unborn child.

Other officers reportedly returned fire. “The officer and suspect were taken to Aria Health Torresdale Hospital, where the suspect died about 40 minutes later,” AP reports. “The officer was in stable condition.”

Neither the officer nor the suspect have been named.