MONDAY KICKSTARTER: Rainbow Crosswalks, the Anti-Gay St. Patrick’s Day Fiasco in NYC and Boston, and More
I monitored the web for LGBT headlines all weekend so you wouldn’t have to. Here’s what you missed:
- U.S. Department of Health says some health insurances must cover same-sex couples by 2015.
- Tennessee judge orders state to recognize three out-of-state same-sex marriages.
- U.S. Senate confirms first out lesbian to federal bench in Michigan.
- AIDS drops off list of top 10 causes of death in NYC since the epidemic broke out.
- San Francisco to install rainbow street crossing in the Castro.
GAY ST. PATRICK’S DAY FIASCO (as it happened over the weekend)
- Sam Adams pulls sponsorship of Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade over ban on gays.
- Boston mayor skips St. Patrick’s Day Parade over exclusion of gay vets.
- Heineken pulls sponsorship of NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade over ban on gay pride signs.
- Stonewall and other NYC gay bars boycott Guinness over sponsorship of anti-gay St. Patrick’s Day parade.
- Guinness drops backing NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
- Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade float had a stealth gay float with rainbow cannons.
- Arkansas high school refuses to run openly gay student’s yearbook profile.
- TV evangelist Franklin Graham defends Putin’s anti-gay beliefs, says Obama should take a few notes.
- New York City church sign calls for the stoning of gays.
- Season four of American Horror Story to be set at a carnival.
- Brooklyn Nets sign Jason Collins for remainder of the season.
- Taiwan to air first — hilarious looking — gay comedy on television.