Everything You Need to Know About the Replacement Refs and Monday Night’s Packers/Seahawks Fiasco
On Monday night, the Green Bay Packers held a five-point lead over the Seattle Seahawks with :08 remaining in the fourth quarter. Seattle quarterback, rookie Russell Wilson, scrambled a bit and threw up a desperation pass that was
intercepted by M.D. Jennings caught(?) by Golden Tate for the game-winning touchdown. The call was pretty blatantly botched and the football world is in a frenzy.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The NFL has issued a statement on the ruling in which it defends the decision not to overturn the call, but concedes that Golden Tate should have been flagged for offensive pass interference.
- Our Michael Bradley says Roger Goodell and the NFL won’t give in until someone gets hurt.
- Aaron Rodgers issued an apology to fans on behalf of the NFL. We’re guessing he wasn’t commissioned by the league to do so.
- A fan wrote an apology to actual NFL ref Ed Hochuli and got an awesome response. With emoticons!
- Deadspin is compiling reactions from Green Bay players. One player asked the league to fine him and use the money to pay the regular refs.
- Sportsbook.com is refunding gamblers who lost money on the blown call.
- Matthew Berry says that 67,000 people lost their fantasy football games on ESPN.com thanks to the call.
- ESPN’s Darren Rovell writes that $15 million worth of bets in Vegas were affected by last night’s call. Estimates put the global figure between $150-200 million.
- A Wisconsin state Senator tweeted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s phone number.
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker—famous for battling unions—has taken to Twitter to voice his opinion that the NFL should bring back the regular officials.
- Packers fans are protesting outside Lambeau Field.
- Deadspin’s Drew Magary says Roger Goodell should lose his job over the fiasco.
- Yahoo!’s Michael Silver asked Aaron Rodgers one question immediately after the call: “What the fuck just happened?”
- Drew Brees says that the replacement officials are an embarrassment to the league.
- Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson called the wrong play and that’s totally what matters on Tuesday.
- The Internet exploded with 56,263 social media comments per minute at the end of the game.
- The Lingerie Football League took time to remind everyone that the NFL is employing referees fired by the LFL.