Celebrate Mardi Gras with Fasnachts and $5 Hurricanes
As you know, today is Fat Tuesday, and it isn’t a true Mardi Gras celebration without Fasnachts. While they were traditionally made so people could get lard, sugar, fat, and butter out of their pantry, most of us eat them now because they’re just so darn good. Here are some places to get the fried treats if you haven’t already:
- Brauhaus Schmitz is selling a half dozen of Fasnachts for $8 and a full dozen for $14
- Beiler’s Bakery at Reading Terminal Market is selling plain, powdered, or cinnamon-sprinkled Fastnachts
For celebrating later in the day, head over to these places:
- Khyber Pass Pub is having a happy hour from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. with a live brass band and are serving $5 hurricanes all day. They’re also having food specials, and their Fried Macaroni and Cheese Po Boy is making a comeback for the day.
- South is kicking off their Monthly Regional Menu Series with a Mardi Gras celebration focused on New Orleans fare. Every Tuesday, they’re having a $35 prix fixe menu including smoked duck gumbo and cocktails like Old Square Smash with Beefeater gin, absinthe, mint, and honey. Live Zydeco music will also be playing tonight.
- Gumbo and Sazeracs are on special. Or grab a half-priced burger at London Grill.
Throw on your party beads, go eat some food, and, as the French would say, Laissez les bons temps rouler!