CoZara Rolls Out a Redo
When Hiroyuki Tanaka opened coZara in University City a year ago, more than a few people raised an eyebrow at the omission of sushi bar. After all, Tanaka’s Rittenhouse Square restaurant, Zama is one of Philadelphia’s go-to spots for sushi.
But now that coZara has reopened after a short closure to tweak the space, the lack of a sushi bar has been addressed. Installed right in front of the new entrance is an eight-seat sushi bar. Upstairs sees changes as well, with geisha images on the stairwell, and several changes to make the space feel more intimate. Bamboo stalks and rice paper obscure the view to outside, while dark curtains hide the outdoor deck.
The menu has also been tweaked. New items on the menu include:
- Yakitori Sampler – Chef’s selection of chicken, steak, pork and seafood
- Pan Seared Duck Breast – with ribbon scallion and a red miso tonkatsu sauce.
- Kanpachi Kama – Crispy baby yellowtail collar deep fried
- Pork Belly Kikune – Chop stick tender, soy anise braised pork belly.
From the sushi bar:
- Buffalo Shrimp Roll – Whole tuna tempura roll topped with tempura buffalo shrimp. Served with bleu cheese and celery
- Bougie Roll – Spicy Crunchy California roll topped with Jumbo lump crab salad and soy butter