Birchrun Hills Looking to Expand Cheese Business
Birchrun Hills Farm in Chester Springs, PA is already known for several of the cheeses that they produce on the farm. But in order to move their cheese-making business forward they need a cheese cave and some other pricey additions. The family-run dairy has already secured financing to build the cheese cave but they’ve turned to Kickstarter to raise funds for a curd vat, shelving and cooling system.
Sue Miller and her family hope to raise at least $25,000 in the next month and is kicking off her Kickstarter with some launch events.
Friday, November 14th, 6pm to 8pm – Join Sue Miller and artist Mike Geno at the Viking Mill Studio Building, 1026 E. Hagert Street in Philadelphia for cheese, sips and a look at Geno’s new painting of Birchrun Blue.
Saturday, November 15, 6 to 8 p.m – Sue Miller and Madame Fromage will be hosting a cheese party at Occasionette, 1825 E. Passyunk Avenue. There you will be able to sample cheese, learn how to build a cheese board for the holidays and of course check out Occasionette’s cool gifts.
As for the Kickstarter campaign, Birchrun Farms is offering some special rewards to people who back their project.
- $40 or more – Birchrun Farms mesh baseball cap, handwritten thank you card, recognition on website, Facebook and Twitter.
- $50 or more – Name a calf & receive a picture of the sweet calf you name.
- $100 or more – A Taste of Birchrun Hills Farm. A selection of four signature cheeses, Birchrun Blue, Fat Cat, Equinox, and Red Cat. You will also receive a handwritten thank you card, recognition on website, Facebook and Twitter.
- $200 or more – On the Farm Dinner. Join the Miller family for a Harvest Dinner featuring the best of Birchrun Hills Farm. The family will serve up a memorable meal and celebrate our Cave Raising together.
- $500 or more – Cheese Maker for a Day. Join BHF cheese maker, Sue Miller for a glorious day of curd. Learn how to make Birchrun Blue or Fat Cat. Stay for lunch, leave with a full heart and a wedge of your favorite cheese.
- $650 or more – Country Mouse Cheese Subscription. Receive a selection of three BHF cheeses (approximately 1 1/4 lbs. each pick-up) twice a month for 12 months. January through December 2015. Picked up at BHF or a designated farmer’s market.
- $750 or more – Guided Cheese Tasting for you and 8 cheese loving friends in your home. Cheesemaker, Sue Miller will lead a fun evening filled with local cheese and locally produced beverages and stories to go along! Approx. 1 1/2 hour event.
Check out the full Kickstarter list of rewards for more details.