Recipe: The Amazing Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake You Can Feel Good About Eating
Want to know what’s super fun? Not hosting during the holidays. Taking on hosting responsibilities requires you to clean things that may not have been cleaned in, well, months (your oven, your baseboards) and write an endless amount of lists on small pieces of paper that you inevitably lose.
Not hosting this year? Congrats! Please offer to bring your host this chocolate cake. It’s delicious, of course, but it’s also gluten- AND dairy-free. So consider this moist, heavenly chocolate cake your own little holiday miracle. Just remember to share.
Amazing Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/4 c. almond flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla
13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 in baking pan with parchment so that it hangs over on two sides. (You’re building yourself a sling, so you can lift the cake out once it’s cooked.)
- In a mixer (or by hand), whisk coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder until smoothly combined.
- Whisk honey, eggs and vanilla until smoothly combined. Slowly add coconut milk and whisk until combined.
- Slowly add liquids to dry ingredients with mixer running (or while whisking). Once smoothly combined, add to prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool in pan on wire rack about ten minutes (or completely, if serving later). Remove using sling, cut into eight pieces, and serve.
Per slice: 375 calories, 25 fat grams, 82 milligrams cholesterol, 173 milligrams sodium, 272 milligrams potassium, 33 grams carbs, 5 grams dietary fiber, 21 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.
Becca Boyd is a wife and mom who creates healthy and delicious recipes in her West Chester kitchen. She blogs about them on her website, Home Beccanomics.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly — here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter