Make: Grilled Pear and Chicken Salad With Blue Cheese
I’ve had many burgers, I’ve had many beers, and there’s still half a bag of kettle-cooked potato chips plaguing me in my pantry. Two people today told me they were ready for summer to end so they could get “back to routine,” and though my vote is for never-ending summer, I agree that my diet needs to get back on track — and quickly.
Salads and soups are my go-tos when I need to lighten up. And I know, grilled chicken and baby spinach are totally standard but with the simple additions of sweet pears and perfectly tangy blue cheese, this salad becomes a weeknight meal that literally brings a grin to my face all through dinner. This would work equally well for lunch as it does for dinner, or for company or for a simple party of two. And it’s the perfect meal to clean up your diet though it tastes like you’re still enjoying a summertime splurge.
Recipe Grilled Pear and Chicken Salad with Blue Cheese
3 Chicken breast
Salt and pepper
2 large Bartlett pears, cut into ¼ inch slices
8 c. fresh baby spinach
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. champagne vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ c. crumbled blue cheese
1. Heat grill to medium and spray grates with nonstick spray.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and grill until cooked through, about five minutes per side.
3. When you flip the chicken, add the pears to the grill. Grill on both sides until grill marks appear.
4. Meanwhile, toss spinach with olive oil, vinegar, honey and mustard. Plate.
5. Divide chicken and pears between plates and top with cheese. Serve.
Per serving: 413 calories, 16.9 fat grams, 123 milligrams cholesterol, 832 milligrams sodium, 816 milligrams potassium, 20.1 grams carbohydrates, 4.6 grams dietary fiber, 12 grams sugar, 47.2 grams protein.
Becca Boyd is a wife and mom who creates healthy and delicious recipes in her West Chester kitchen. She blogs about them on her website, Home Beccanomics.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly—here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter