The Checkup: How Dana Torres Gets Ready for the Olympics
• Here are the things I learned from a Health.com interview with Dana Torres, a 45-year-old Olympic swimmer who’ll participate in her sixth Games this summer in London:
- Her pre-swim-meet, psych-up mixtape includes the Doors, the Who, the Rolling Stones, and Kanye.
- She credits her ridiculously ripped abs, in part, to genetics.
- She used to be bulimic.
- She conks out the night before a meet with the help of Ambien (and claims lots of other athletes do the same).
- She meets reporters for steak and potatoes to do interviews. How can I get in on that?
• Crazy cool: an experiment in which paralyzed rats were able to “walk, run and spring deftly over obstacles,” according to the Los Angeles Times.
• You probably heard that New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to ban sodas or sugary drinks that are 16-ounces or larger at restaurants, movie theaters and food trucks. Yeah … Mickey D.’s and Coke aren’t too happy about it.