What to Wear to the Best of Philly Party
Perhaps the most frequent question I get asked each year around this time is: So what do I wear to the Best of Philly party? Here are some of my rules for women:
1. Don’t wear an overly fancy, floor-length gown. I’ve seen it before, and it looks out of place. We’re talking cocktail party attire, not black-tie.
2. But change out of your work clothes. A pencil skirt and button-down is too casual.
3. Leave the second-skin bandage dress for another night. Actually, why don’t you just ditch these entirely? Hervé has had its moment. That moment is over.
4. Leave your huge shoulder bag at home, too. It gets crowded, and you’ll be annoyed when you have to lug it around all night. Opt for a clutch instead.
5. Yep, pants are fine! Some of the best party outfits I’ve seen have been the most unexpected. While everyone else is in an LBD, trot out a great pair of pants (black silk? skinny tuxedo?).
6. Wear shoes you don’t mind standing in. This isn’t a wedding where you can take off your shoes on the dance floor. (While we’re on that subject, stop doing this. If you can’t dance in shoes, don’t wear them.) Have a pair of flats in the car to change into post-party. Trust me: You’ll want them.
7. No short, shiny sequined dresses. This is the ballpark, not Vegas.
Your Shopping Inspiration: