Headlines: Reality TV Star, L&I in Hot Water Over ‘Illegally Built’ Apartments
It’s about that time of the week again, you know, when potentially dangerous L&I issues come to the forefront. This time, it involves an eight-unit apartment building at 1806 West Montgomery Avenue near Temple University. Alfred Lubrano of The Inquirer reports that the four-story building was “built illegally – without the required safety inspections or even a building permit, city records show.”
The building is owned by 826 N. Broad LLC. and Lubrano says that developer Shawn Bullard, known recently as the love-seeking leading man of WE TV’s reality show Match Made in Heaven*, is the sole member of that company. Here’s the rub, though the building was never inspected by L&I–as shown by city records–Bullard did somehow obtain a rental license, even without the required certificate of occupancy that says it’s up to code and safe. Rental licenses are issued by L&I, by the way.
L&I Commissioner Carlton Williams told The Inquirer that the building, which has multiple violations dating back to December 2013, has been inspected post-build and “L&I inspectors found no structural conditions that pose a threat to occupants.” A statement that even confused inspectors, since the walls are up in the building and mechanical and fire systems can’t be checked. Bullard has 35 days to obtain a certificate of occupancy for the building or it will be shut down and have its tenants vacated. He also is permitted to hire an engineer to study the building and Williams said that L&I will “conduct a hearing to determine whether to suspend Bullard’s contractor license.”
*Spoiler alert: Bullard chose Jade.
- Nemours Children’s Health System expanding in South Jersey [The Inquirer]
- Complex near Paoli Hospital trades hands [Philadelphia Business Journal]
- One of Philly’s Most Spectacular Interiors Is Under Contract [Curbed Philly]
- Blighted East Falls house, once the cause of protest, now being torn down [PlanPhilly]
Get at us:
- Send all tips (including fancy Philly area houses like this and this) to email@example.com
- Like Property on Facebook!
- Follow along on the Twitter machine @PropertyPhilly
- Get pin-happy on our fun Pinterest boards Phillyscape and Philly Home