What’s Open and Closed in Philly During the Eagles Parade
Planned on checking out the Art Museum’s world-class holdings on Thursday? Better pick another day.
Judging by the sheer magnitude of the people expected to descend upon our fair city for the Eagles Super Bowl parade, Philly can anticipate a record-setting crowd will pack the streets of Center City on Thursday. More than one million people attended the festivities celebrating the World Series champion Phillies in 2008, and tomorrow could draw double that amount.
With all eyes on our conquering underdogs and limited mobility for pedestrians along Broad Street and the Parkway, many Philadelphia institutions have elected to close their doors rather than risk opening to little interest. If you planned on checking out the Art Museum’s world-class holdings, you’d better pick a better day than Thursday.
In recognition of the @Eagles heroic #SuperBowl win, @philamuseum will be closed 2/8, when the city celebrates with a victory parade that will end on the steps of the Museum. #FlyEaglesFly
— Phila Museum of Art (@philamuseum) February 7, 2018
Also scheduled to shutter are:
- Philly schools and colleges – All public and archdiocesan schools are closed, along with several suburban school districts. Local colleges that won’t be open include: Community College of Philadelphia, Penn, Drexel, Temple, UArts, USciences, Pierce College, and Rosemont College on the Main Line.
- All city offices
- The U.S. Postal Service office at Broad and Sansom.
- The Barnes Foundation
- The Philadelphia Zoo
- The Academy of Natural Sciences
- The Mutter Museum
- The Franklin Institute
- The Free Library of Philadelphia
- The Rodin Museum
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- Banana Republic at Broad and Walnut.
- Walgreens at Broad and Chestnut
The following will remain open during the parade:
- Macy’s (Wanamaker building)
- Rite Aid
The Office of Emergency Management has asked the public to “do their part, use common sense, and stay aware of their surroundings.” You can text READYEAGLES to 888-777 to receive OEM’s free updates on the parade. The Philadelphia Fire Department will staff medics along the Parkway at 21st and 24th streets.
Any missing people or children found by the Philadelphia Police Department will be taken to Engine 49 (2600 South 13th Street) or Ladder 5 (Broad and Fitzwater) during the first leg of the parade, the Convention Center Police Room (13th and Race) midway, and the 9th police District (21st and Hamilton) during the last leg.