Victim Identified in Hit-and-Run at Northeast Philly Bus Stop

A man claiming to be the driver of the vehicle turned himself into police early this morning.

A hit-and-run at Bustleton Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia claimed the life of 50-year-old Alejo Molina at 12:30 this morning. Police are unsure whether Molina was awaiting a bus or seeking shelter from the rain beneath a SEPTA canopy when a black Lexus crashed into the structure. A witness told police that the driver exited the vehicle and looked at the victim before fleeing the scene on foot. Paramedics pronounced Molina dead at approximately 12:45 a.m, said Captain John Wilczynski, Commanding Officer of the Accident Investigation Unit.

An unidentified 35-year-old man entered police headquarters on Race Street at 7:30 a.m., stating that he was the only person in the vehicle at the time of the crash, and desired to cooperate with the investigation. Due to the ongoing status of the investigation, police did not release the name of the suspect, who was not the registered owner of the car. While they are still investigating the connection between the suspect and vehicle’s owner — who said he did not know where the car was at the time of the crash — police are not actively searching for any other suspects. The driver also sustained injuries, including a head wound for which he received medical treatment.

Police learned from a witness that there was a third individual at the scene shortly after the crash. This third person, who was also driving a vehicle at the time, “stopped briefly, had a brief conversation with the driver, and then left, but wasn’t involved in any way other than that,” said Wilczynski. Police have no description of the person or the car, and are currently searching for the individual and any information they might have.

While there is currently no indication that alcohol played a role in the crash, Wilczynski claimed that speed and weather were both factors. Pending further investigation, the driver could be charged with leaving the scene, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of three years.