Philadelphia Family Pride Conference at CHOP Features Dr. Rachel Levine
The 6th Annual Philadelphia Family Pride “Family Matters” Conference is shaping up for Saturday, October 17 at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), with Pennsylvania’s Physician General Dr. Rachel Levine, the highest ranking out trans woman in Pennsylvania state government, serving as the keynote speaker.
CHOP, which houses one of the region’s most renowned gender and sexuality development clinics, is the ideal location for the conference, and Linda Hawkins, co-director of the clinic, agrees.
“The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to supporting all families and providing the best care possible to heal children and families. This includes our LGBTQ patients and families,” she said. “We are honored to be partnering with Philly Family Pride on this important conference.”
The conference, which is designed for LGBTQ parented-families, has picked the theme of “Mind, Body, and Soul” this year and will emphasize the importance of parents not only taking care of their children, but themselves (a full list of the workshops can be found below). There will also be a “Treat Yourself” room, where participants can get a massage or try acupuncture.
Additionally, there will be on-site childcare and kids programming available for those who pre-register before October 3.
The October 17 conference runs from 9 am to 4 pm and registration is only $20-30 per person. For more information, or to register, visit the conference’s website.
List of workshops:
- Handling the Hard Stuff: Navigating Conversations with Our Kids about our LGBTQ Families, in Good Times and Bad
- Demystifying Meditation and Mindfulness: How breathing and taking a few minutes for yourself can make you a better parent and partner
- For Goodness Sakes: Strategies for Parenting Tweens and Teens
- LGBTQ Parents Guide to Choosing the Best Providers for your Family
- Did that person REALLY just say that to me? — Tactics for transracial families in responding to biased comments
- LGBTQ Fun Family Vacations and Outings
- Gender Roles and Parenting Discussion
- Understanding Marriage in Changing Times: A Legal Update
- Intersectionality: Race, Sexuality, and Faith
- The ART of Babymaking: Assisted Reproduction Technology
- Adoption Options
- Do It Yourself Babymaking Dos and Dont’s
- Flourishing Through Fertility and Adoption Setbacks