Funeral Set for Officer Wilson
Funeral services have been set for Officer Robert Wilson III, the Philadelphia Police officer shot by robbers last week at a North Philadelphia GameStop. Meanwhile, vigils and tributes continue to celebrate the officer’s life.
According to the police:
• A viewing will be held 4 to 8 p.m. today at Francis Funeral Home, 5201 Whitby Avenue.
• A second viewing with be 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday at the Palestra.
• Funeral services will then be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, still at the Palestra.
• Burial will follow at Fernwood Cemetery, 6501 Baltiore Ave.
Other developments on Thursday:
• A West Philadelphia vigil was held to remember Wilson. KYW reports:
Hundreds gathered on a basketball court at 61st and Baltimore Avenue to remember the man they called a friend.
Neighbors of the Cobbs Creek community lit candles and applauded Officer Wilson’s service. Family friend Tyrone Sims, who organized the event, remembers Wilson as a child.
“He also was a good person, he was always a good gentleman. He always dreamed of becoming a Philadelphia Police officer, his dream came true,” said Sims.
• Massachusetts police honored Wilson, as well, NBC 10 reports. “Before the annual “Irish-American Ice Hockey Games,” the Massachusetts State Police presented Philadelphia Police officers with a hockey sweater bearing Wilson’s name.”