Officer Killed in North Philly Shooting

Robert Wilson III, an eight-year police veteran, was gravely injured during a exchange of gunfire at a GameStop and died early this evening. Two suspects are in custody — one is hospitalized after being shot.


UPDATE, 8:15 p.m.: Mayor Nutter, Commissioner Ramsey, and D.A. Seth Williams finished a press conference at 13th and Ontario streets a short while ago (video from Fox29 below). Officer Robert Wilson III, an eight-year veteran of the force working out of the 22nd District, died at 6:25 p.m. from injuries sustained after exchanging gunfire at close range with two men attempting to rob a GameStop in North Philadelphia. Officer Damian Stephenson, Wilson’s partner, and other officers responding to the shooting were able to apprehend the two suspects, who have yet to be named.

Office Wilson is survived by two children, ages nine and one.

Governor Tom Wolf issued the following statement:

“My deepest condolences are with Officer Robert Wilson’s family tonight and his colleagues at the Philadelphia Police Department, especially the officers of the 22nd District. This senseless act is devastating and a stark reminder of the danger faced everyday by our brave men and women in uniform. Across Pennsylvania, members of law enforcement and our first responders put their lives on the line to protect our families and our communities. We can never forget their selfless service and sacrifice.”

UPDATE, 6:23 p.m.: The Inquirer is reporting the officer, identified as Robert Wilson, has died.

[Original 5:56 p.m.] Philadelphia Police are confirming that an officer was shot in an incident just before 5 p.m. at the GameStop at 2101 West Lehigh Avenue.

The unidentified male officer was “down and unresponsive” after being shot in the head and was taken to Temple University Hospital where he is listed in critical condition. Officer Leeloni Palmiero, a spokeswoman, said the department is not sure at this time what led up to the incident.

Palmiero confirms that two suspects are in custody — one of whom was also shot, and who has been taken to Einstein Medical Center in unknown condition.

More to come on this story.