Wedding Details: THE SHOWDOWN: BAND VS. DJ
• Typically less expensive than a band; expect to pay $500-$1,000 for a four-hour reception
• Can usually play for longer, and play more styles of music, than a band
• May be more impersonal than a band
• May not be as effective at livening up a party
• Brings live energy to a party
• Can be more personalized
• Typically more expensive than a DJ; expect to pay $2,000-$16,000 for a four-hour reception
• May not be able to perform cover songs like the original
Whether you decide to hire a band or DJ, make sure you agree on the type of music that will be played, and specify how many breaks will be needed; you don’t want to pay for four hours of entertainment and receive two hours of music.
Music sets the mood of the reception. A good bandleader or DJ will understand that and will tailor the music to the style of the reception, whether it be a high-energy night of line dancing or an elegant evening of waltzes.