Eagles Release RB Maysonet, Sign TE Shaw

The Eagles made a roster move today, releasing running back Miguel Maysonet and signing Youngstown State tight end Will Shaw.

Maysonet (5-9, 209) played his college ball at Stony Brook, piling up 1,964 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior. His only chance to make an impression was during the Eagles’ rookie camp right after the draft, and apparently, Maysonet didn’t do enough to impress. He did not participate in last week’s OTAs because of the NCAA’s graduation rule.

Shaw (6-3, 245) started his career as a safety, but then moved over to linebacker, according to Youngstown State’s student newspaper. He made the switch to tight end in 2011 and caught 35 passes for 429 yards and five touchdowns last year.

Per the report, he ran a 4.73 40 at his Pro Day and benched 225 pounds 24 times. Shaw flashed a vertical leap of 34.5 inches.

He tried out for the team during its rookie camp (May 10-12).

As for the Eagles’ running back situation, LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown have two spots locked down. The team signed Felix Jones last week and also has Chris Polk and Matthew Tucker (UDFA out of TCU).

Shaw joins a crowded tight end group. The Eagles have Brent Celek, James Casey and second-round pick Zach Ertz occupying three spots. Clay Harbor would seem to have a shot only if the team keeps four tight ends. He’s also getting reportedly getting reps at outside linebacker.

Follow Sheil Kapadia on Twitter and e-mail him at skapadia@phillymag.com.
Become a fan of Birds 24/7 on Facebook.