AOL Founder Gives Drexel Grad $100,000
During AOL founder Steve Case‘s visit to Philadelphia, he gave Drexel University alumnus Christopher Gray $100,000, Technical.ly Philly reports.
As part of his ‘Rise of the Rest’ tour, Case has been hearing pitches from entrepreneurs from across the East Coast. Gray’s pitch: an app he has been working on that aggregates scholarship applications called Scholly.
Gray’s pitch to the AOL co-founder-turned-angel-investor touched on his upbringing from a poor family and the risk involved in taking out thousands of dollars in student loans, the Philadelphia Business Journal reports.
After Gray appeared on the ABC show Shark Tank earlier this year, the app skyrocketed to the most popular slot among all iPhone paid apps.
— BlackstoneEI (@BlackstoneEI) September 30, 2015
“Last year, 75 percent of all venture capital funding went to three states – California, New York and Massachusetts,” Case told Philly Mag in an interview in August. “The other 47 states were fighting over the last 25 percent. That will change over next decade.”
Follow @RobDiRienzo on Twitter.