NFC East Roundup: Quarterback Controversy
With the second week of the preseason behind us, let’s take a spin around the division and check in on the other three NFC East teams.
Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News says the Cowboys disappointed yesterday, but Randy Gregory continues to shine.
The Dallas Cowboys played in the stadium Sunday that will host Super Bowl 50 in February. That didn’t seem to do much for them.
The Cowboys’ offense had only 73 yards in the first half and was shut out. The defense did have some moments, including three sacks by linemen.
The Cowboys believe they have a team that will contend for the Super Bowl. That wasn’t evident Sunday with several starters not playing at Levi’s Stadium.
ESPN’s Todd Archer had a Q&A with Jason Witten, including one question about DeMarco Murray.
What changes this year without DeMarco Murray?
Witten: DeMarco was a huge part of our success last year, but I don’t think anything changes. I think guys have to step up. We’re trying to establish our identity with our run game. Good opportunity for those other guys. It’s never about one person, even though DeMarco was fantastic last year and had an unbelievable year. You’ve just got to go back to work and guys have to step in. We’re going to play our same style of offense. Just an opportunity for those guys to step up.
NEW YORK GIANTS
The Giants’ offense has been uninspiring so far, reports Tom Pedulla of the New York Times.
The Giants are expecting major production from their offense, and from Odell Beckham Jr. in particular, as they try to rebound from last year’s 6-10 record and snap a string of three consecutive seasons without a playoff berth.
Through two preseason games, there is little evidence that those expectations will turn into reality.
The New York Daily News says Jason Pierre-Paul used a decoy—whose hand was wrapped in toilet paper—to avoid the media.
The beleaguered Giants defensive end, whose finger was reportedly amputated after a July 4 fireworks accident, tried to fool a Daily News reporter at a charity event in Sunrise, Fla. by sending out a burly decoy in a bandaged hand who was whisked away in a waiting vehicle.
But the fake football player wrapped up the wrong mitt — in toilet paper, no less — a move even Pierre-Paul’s security people admitted was ill-conceived.
The Redskins already have a quarterback controversy on their hands, writes the Washington Post‘s Dan Steinberg.
For now, let’s put it like this: even bearing in mind the quality of the competition, isn’t it unsettling that Washington’s offense looks so much crisper when the guys without Roman numerals on their backs are under center?
“It’s not troubling,” [Jay] Gruden answered on Sunday. “I’m glad we’re having some success somewhere. You know, Kirk [Cousins] and Colt [McCoy], that’s a tribute to them. They’re doing extremely well. The pass protection has been excellent, and really with our [starting] group, we haven’t been able to muster a drive.”
CSN Mid-Atlantic’s Rich Tandler says Washington’s focus on their rushing attack has been paying off.
When Scot McCloughan came to Washington in January, he drew up the plan for 2015. He knew that quarterback Robert Griffin III was likely to struggle at times and that the other two options at QB, Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy had their limitations as well. His plan was to bolster the Redskins’ ability to move the ball on the ground and to stop the run on defense. That would make the Redskins less dependent on whatever flawed quarterback was behind center to stay competitive in games.
While Griffin, the designated starter, has been struggling, the ground-based strategy has been working through two preseason games.