Love Animals? Training for the Rothman 8K? Join Runners for Animals
Heads up, animal lovers. The Humane League is hosting a running group this fall aimed at getting you prepped for the Rothman 8K on November 22nd.
It’s called the Runners for Animals, and the vegan-and-veggie-friendly group is free to join, but runners are asked to fundraise for the Humane League. There’s no fundraising minimum, but as an added incentive there are prizes along the way for those who meet certain fundraising goals. Runners also receive personalized training plans from the group leader, running enthusiast Lia Belardo; access to a private Facebook group; a T-shirt; and invites to runners’ pot lucks.
Humane League director Rachel Atcheson says there are around 30 members in the group, and that a dozen or so turn out for any given group run. And while the majority of runners are training for the Rothman 8K, marathoners and half marathoners are totally welcome to join. They also welcome all fitness levels.
The group meets twice a week for runs: Mondays at 6:30 p.m. for a Meatless Mondays Run, which starts and ends at a veggie-friendly restaurant, and either Thursdays or Saturdays (the day varies depending on the week) for a themed run. Here’s a list of some of their upcoming runs:
Meatless Monday Runs (minimum of five miles):
- September 22nd – Tattooed Moms
- September 29th – PS & Co.
- October 6th – Soy Café
- October 13th – American Sardine Bar
- October 20th – Animo Juice
Upcoming theme runs:
- October 4th – Nacho Average Hill Climb, a hill work out plus Mexican brunch at Adobe Café in Roxborough
- October 11th – Some Like it Hot, a West Philly run plus hot yoga
- October 18th – Ice Cream Social Half Marathon, run from Little Baby’s in Fishtown to Little Baby’s in West Philly and back (13.5 miles)
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly—here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter